Thursday, January 8, 2009

Kendwa Rocks…no it really does!

We then made our way from Mungapawni beach to Kendwa Rocks. The Spice Tour Operator dropped us of at the nearest dalla dalla (mini-bus) stop and we jumped on for a bumpy and cozy ride to Kendwa. The bus was packed with people and things and sometimes it felt like the wooden benches were going to leave permanent bruising on my behind but luckily we made it there in one piece. From the stop in Kendwa, it was a 20 minute walk along a dusty road to get to Kendwa Rocks, our resort where we would spend the next two days enjoying the beach!

We arrived, exhausted, dusty and looking forward to plunging into the warm crystal waters! We dropped our stuff off in our lovely suite where there was a huge hammock on the patio and a lovely bathroom with a separate shower tub (yay for no wet floors).

We spent the next two days beaching it up – swimming, sitting, sleeping and relaxing on the beach, enjoying the yummy food and drink at the beach restaurant and marveling at the surreal beauty of the white sand beaches, the deep blue waters and the orange sunset. We enjoyed yummy free breakfasts of omelets, toast and fresh fruit and had a chance to truly decompress and relax.

For those of you who know me well, I cannot really sit still for too long and for that matter – I cannot go very long without having to do some shopping. On our second day at Kendwa, I found a series of artists selling paintings on the beach. I was told by my awesome friend Audrey that Zanzibar is the place to buy paintings! Audrey, a fellow Saskatchewanite, lived in Malawi for 2 years, working for the UNDP, and visited Zanzibar where she bought these beautiful paintings in Stone Town. She warned me to look around and haggle about the price! Thanks for the tip Aud! Being from India where bargaining is commonplace and being a notorious cheapskate by nature, I was looking forward to the challenge. Ultimately, I found two paintings that I liked and I got both of them for $15 total – so a good deal overall!