Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cherishing Cheshire

Saturday was my last day teaching English and music to the children at the Menagesha Rehabilitation Center of Cheshire Services Ethiopia. I was expecting this final day to be quite emotional, because over the past 5 months, the children at Menagesha have really opened my eyes and heart to the things in life that are truly important, constant, and often easily overlooked. I boarded the employee bus for the final time and we zipped through Addis picking up the other employees before hitting the road connecting the activity of Addis to the serenity and untouched wonder of rural Ethiopia.

I spent my final morning with the children teaching them some songs, learning a few more words in Amharic, learning a religious song (mezmoor) and Teddy Afro’s wildly popular anthem Ababaiyo, weaving a basket with two of my students, playing a bit of soccer, taking some pictures and celebrating with my co-workers (the other teacher and social workers working at Menagesha). The teachers and children presented me with a traditional popcorn basket that the children made themselves!

As the minutes approached for me to leave, the children and I came to the joint realization that this would be my last visit to them on Saturdays. As I said my final farewells and gave them all the customary Ethiopian handshake and shoulder bump, a few of my students gave me a huge hug and told me they would miss me very much. I must admit, that I shed a few tears that day, because you see, I have cherished my Saturday mornings with the children at Cheshire – singing, laughing and learning so much about life and the indomitable power of the human spirit. While on paper I am their teacher, these children are my heroes, my mentors and my inspiration to strive to be better, because at this young age, they have epitomized the life lessons that most of us strive for a lifetime to learn. I only hope that I can one day share the insight, sensitivity, compassion and unconditional love that they have given me over the past five months. Thank you so much.