Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What do I do?

Well, according to the work plan I developed with my boss Ato Derbew, in consultation with the instructions from CIDA and our Program Director, Al Cook, I will be working in the following areas and in the following capacities:

1) Fundraiser. In this capacity, I would be preparing project proposals and looking for funding from external donors to support these proposals and the work of the EBA more generally;

2) Researcher and Legal Analyst. In this capacity, I would be mainly conducting research on the legal and regulatory framework of Bar Associations and Law Societies in other countries and legal systems. After an analysis of the different ways in which such organizations and legal/regulatory frameworks are structured, I would work with the EBA to determine the best structure for their organization; and

3) Advisor. In this capacity, I would serve as an advisor to the Executive Director (Derbew Temesgen), mostly in the areas of Strategic Planning. Sustainability, Regulatory Frameworks, New Initiatives, Workshop Organization and other activities.

Specific Subject Areas Addressed by the Organization Overall:

Access to Justice Project: Legal Aid Framework: Developing Policies and Procedures, Legal Aid Networking

Self-Regulating Profession

Women Lawyers Initiative: Female Practitioner Recruitment

Community Legal Education