Tuesday, September 9, 2008

United Nations

So, I forgot to mention this in a post last week, but I have a volunteer job with the United Nations while I am in Addis (until the first week of February). I will be working on Saturdays and certain weeknights with the United Nations Development Programme (Democratic Institutions Programme) as a Disability Advisor and ADR Advisor. In these capacities, I will have a chance to develop strategic plans and concept papers on how Ethiopian Institutions such as the Ethiopian Ombudsman and the Ethiopian Human Rights Commission can more fully integrate the perspectives, concerns, and views of persons with disabilities into their work through concrete, sustainable initiatives.

Some of my specific duties include a study of disability rights as articulated in Ethiopian law, analyzing the barriers to persons with disabilities in the workforce, helping to implement equity programs related to the recruitment of disabled persons in government posts, and analyzing the use of ADR strategies in these various Ethiopian government departments. Finally, I was told that I will also assist in reviewing and revising Ethiopia’s submissions to various UN human rights committees. Given that I have a full-time job already with the EBA, things will be hopping for the next few months – but I am excited.

This job came about when I mentioned to my friend Sehen that I was interested in volunteering with the UN on disability issues. I met with her boss the next day and we had a discussion about where I could become involved. After we had talked, he said that he was particularly interested in having me help out because I was from Saskatchewan. He went to the University of Saskatchewan to do his LL.M. and finished his JSD at McGill where he also taught for a few years! Can you believe it? My theory remains in tact. I maintain to this very day that everyone you will ever meet will always have a connection to Saskatchewan. People say we are a small province, but our reach is truly global. Shout out to Saskatchewan!

I am looking forward to the new challenges that this volunteer gig will pose and the exciting work that it will bring about! I will let you know how things go!