Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sewing with 'S'

This weekend I set out for my Saturday morning working with the children at Menagesha. This week, I met 15-year old S (I will leave out his full name), a boy with a mobility-related disability. He informed me that he has had multiple surgeries on his right leg which have resulted in complete loss of sensation and use of that leg. He is at Menagesha following his most recent series of surgeries in a post-surgery rehabilitation program. He talked to me at length about his family and his journey to Menagesha. He told me about the poverty that his family faces on a daily basis. His father, a farmer, and his mother, a cook, work long hours each and every day in order to barely provide for the basic needs of their family. He has 1 brother and 2 sisters. He informed me that his family is from a small rural community known as Sharbet. I asked if he has had a chance to see his family since his surgery, to which his response was no. He also informed me that he had no idea when he would next see his family. While such crushing news would be devastating to even the most seasoned adult, this young man, facing so many obstacles and a deep separation from his family and home, was positive and alive. He has taken his future in his own hands and is crafting out a course in life that will both fulfill him creatively but also support him in the form of a livelihood.

You see, while at Menagesha, S has been honing his artisan skills. At 15, he is an accomplished tailor and is quite adept at using the sewing machine. He has created beautiful linens etc. from the fabric that is donated to Menagesha. The arts teacher at Menagesha who oversees the handicraft/artistry program (which creates a number of traditional crafts, bags, and baskets which are then sold to support the children) is quite proud of him and calls him her most talented student.

S is also a teacher, an inspiration and a leader for all the children at Menagesha. He inspires the other children by his gentle presence, kind nature and good manners. He takes time to teach the other children arts and sewing and help them with their various projects.

On Saturday, S insisted that I try using the sewing machine. He indicated that he would teach me how to sew. I have not used a sewing machine for nearly 13 years and the last time was in Grade 9 sewing class. I told him that I barely passed Grade 9 sewing and this was after my teacher (I am not naming any names, but those of you in Grade 9 with me remember that class well) had practically made my entire final project for me (she kept using my hoodie as the example to show the class how to do particular stitches – she was pretty certain that I had no idea what I was doing). Furthermore, the sewing machine at Menagesha is a vintage [and I mean VINTAGE] Singer machine with the winding wheel on the side to make the machine run. This was no automated gizmo. Under S’s tutelage, I began to sew my very first pillowcase. All the while he was encouraging me and telling me that I was doing a great job!

S is one of those rare people in life that truly understands the meaning of compassion, inner strength and determination. That he has had to grow up so quickly is at the same time impressive and unfortunate. Part of me thinks that in facing such adversity at such a young age and in taking on this role as mentor to the other children, he has lost a part of his childhood that he can never truly recover. In the process, however, he has gained the respect and admiration of all of those around him, who have come to count on him as a source of strength and comfort. He is a bright light in the lives of these children. He is an inspiration. The world needs more people like S.