Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Absolutely Amharic

So, on the weekend, I made my trip to Menagesha to teach English / Music on Saturday morning. The kids were wonderful as usual. This week, I asked the children to describe what they wanted to be when they grew up. Most of the children wanted to be doctors, some wanted to be teachers, others wanted to be scientists, one wanted to be a “cow farmer”, one wanted to be an artist, one wanted to be prime minister, one wanted to be a farmer and one wanted to be an artist. When I asked if anyone wanted to be a lawyer like me, the room fell completely silent. I swear - you could hear crickets. The kids all stared at me and then burst out laughing – essentially telling me in unspoken code – as if anyone would actually want to be a lawyer. It is like one of those really bad lawyer jokes - except that it happened. Good times.

In other news, I learnt a whole new slew of Amharic words from the children this week. The list is as follows:

English – Amharic

Beard – Sim
Small – Thinnush
Short – Hacchur
Tall – Rajum
Thin – Kacchum
Fat – Ophram
Pen – Scripto
Paper – Luke
Ladybug – Tiziza
Rabbit – Tinjun
Star – Coco
Football – Quos
Fish – Asa
Straw – Wancha
Elephant – Zoowon
House – Bet
Cat – Dimut
Horse – Ferez
Boy – Wunt
Girl – Sayt
Oohckool – Equal
Teacher – Astamaarii
Doctor – Doctor
Scientist – Zafaranya