Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Change We Can Believe In

I woke up this morning (Wednesday, November 05, 2008) at 5 AM to watch the U.S. election results come in live. I was flipping the channels back and forth between BBC, ABC News, France 24 etc. to see the different takes on the election campaign so far and the results. I have to admit that I have not been this emotionally and politically invested in an election campaign for a very long time. I tried to understand my interest in this election. Was it because I am an election junkie? Was it because I called New York City home for close to a year? Was it because the issues affecting the American populace were issues that had import to everyone as global citizens? Was it the charisma, character, compassion and confidence that Obama exuded? Was it the historic nature of this election – with Obama having the potential to become the first African American President of the United States? It was a combination of these factors. However, as I watched the results come in, it was so much more.

I was taken aback by how emotional I was as the results came in and as Obama delivered his moving, stirring, and deeply resonant acceptance speech. I was verklempt as the camera scanned crowds across America tuning in to the results, tears streaming down their faces, elated not simply because their candidate won but because before their very eyes something truly momentous was happening. This moment, in American history, and indeed in world history is so much bigger than the end of a campaign and the commencement of a new government. This moment symbolizes the possibility that each and every one of us have the chance to realize our dreams.

This past weekend, I just finished reading his book, the Audacity of Hope and have been impressed with how his message throughout the campaign has remained consistent with his core values, his sense of integrity, his spirit of cooperation, and his commitment to human rights and justice. It is rare, in a world of politicians, so quick to pursue the negative and abandon their beliefs for the allure of votes, that Barack Obama has inspired a nation with his positive spirit, his sense of optimism and hope, and his unwavering belief that at the end of the day, the most important message is one of love, compassion and understanding.

In addition to capturing the hearts and minds of the American people, I am impressed by how Obama has managed to truly capture the collective consciousness of the international community. The television coverage today showed celebrations in Kenya and around the world. There have been Obama posters, T-shirts and bumper stickers all over Addis Ababa for the past several months. For the first time in my memory, these elections have captured the world’s attention not simply because of the U.S. importance in international affairs, but because there has been a person who has singularly transcended political rhetoric to inspire people all over the world by his message and by his example.

As my father wrote to me this morning in an email regarding the wonderful results: History is Made. On so many levels, that is something truly amazing!